Ramadan is a season of tradition and celebration with your families. It can be extremely challenging to stay healthy and avoid gaining weight during the feasts of Ramadan. After fasting for the entire day, it is almost unavoidable to binge once the fast is broken. Here are some top tips to help you stay healthy and fit during Ramadan:
- Try to remain physically active after breaking your fast. Try to schedule in at least three times a week where you exercise in order to maintain your health and fitness. It is important to exercise after breaking your fast in order to have energy to fuel your workout.
- Do not exercise if you have not drunk any water. It can be extremely dangerous and trigger dehydration if you train during your fast. Train at a time where you can replenish your body with lots of water before, during and after your workout.
- Always break your fast by eating healthy and low calorie foods first. Start off with a nice big salad or a plate of vegetables. This will help you feel fuller and prevent binging altogether.
- Stick to eating fruits, vegetables, protein and healthy fats such as olives and olive oil on a daily basis. Let this be the bulk of your meals.
- Try not to eat desserts and fried foods more than once or twice a week maximum. Overeating on high fat foods is one quick and easy way to gain weight. Also pay attention to portion sizes. It can be easy to overeat after fasting all day, so it can be really helpful to be conscious of how much you are eating.
We wish all of you a happy and healthy Ramadan!